Each New Year my husband and I kick off the first week with a cleanse. There are more cleanses, detoxes and fasts out there than you can shake a stick at. We’ve tried several over the years and have come up with our own combination that works for us. To begin, we eliminate the following:
- Caffeine (the only exception is one cup of organic green tea per day)
- Sugar (other than natural sugars in fruits)
- White carbohydrates (white rice, tortillas, baguettes, etc.)
- All animal products (meat, fish, butter, eggs, etc.)
So what do we eat?
- Organic Fruits & Veggies (any and everything!)
- Organic Whole grains: brown or wild rice, quinoa, millet, oats
- Organic beans & legumes: kidney beans, black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, lentils
- Raw Seeds & Nuts: walnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds
- Organic Nut milks: almond, oat, hemp, rice, coconut (make sure they are non-sweetened)
- Herbs & spices: ginger, cinnamon, rosemary, curry powder, thyme, bay leaf, cilantro, chili flakes, etc.
- Healthy Oils (sparingly): olive oil, walnut oil, avocado oil, etc.
Here’s how we typically do it:
- Breakfast Options: smoothies, gluten-free toast with nut butters, cut fruit & whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, millet, oats)
- Lunch: homemade soup, salad or a combination of beans and rice or other whole grain
- Dinner: homemade soup, salad or a combination of beans and rice or other whole grain
Oh, and we drink a lot of purified water and herbal teas to stay well hydrated!
So you see our cleanse still allows you to eat (just very clean eating), in fact you can eat all you want as long as it’s on the list!
To kick off the cleanse we’ll be using this recipe for Kitchari Red Lentil & Brown Rice Soup found on jessiemonds.com.
For full details click here
Kitchari – Red Lentil and Brown Rice Soup with Coconut Milk
Recipe adapted from Kitchari by Sharon Gannon
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups purified water
2 cups red lentils, divided
1 cup short grain brown rice (or brown basmati rice)
1 1″ piece peeled fresh ginger (leave whole)
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
1 15 ounce can full fat organic Coconut Milk
1 block extra firm tofu, drained and diced into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves for garnish
juice of 1 lime, plus additional lime wedges for garnish
Sea salt as needed for seasoning, likely around 2 teaspoons
Place vegetable broth, water, 1 1/2 cup red lentils, brown rice, ginger, and chili flakes in large dutch oven or soup pot and heat over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Turn heat to medium low heat, and stir occasionally until lentils soften, about 30 minutes. Add additional half cup of lentils and cook additional 15-20 minutes. Add coconut milk, tofu (if using), and cilantro and cook until heated through, 5 minutes. Season with salt and lime juice. Serve right away with additional cilantro and lime or refrigerate up to 3 days.