Remember those long skinny ice pops we had as kids? I used to love those! I’m not sure there are many kids who don’t love them however now that I’m a parent I gotta tell ya those will certainly not be a summer staple in our house. Why? The ingredients are way to scary for me to feed to my child….high fructose corn syrup, artificial dyes. Nope, not for my kiddo! That’s why when my sister-in-law told me about Zip Zicles I was so excited! These things are genius. They allow you to make your own long skinny popsicles so your kids can still enjoy them and you can feel good about it. Oh, and you can wash and re-use them if you’d like and they’re BPA free!
ZipZicles – $2.99 for 12
Now that spring has finally arrived we’re already starting to cook differently. With warmer weather I like to shed the heavier dishes we eat in the fall and winter for lighter, fresher fare. This is the time of year when we begin to use more and more fresh herbs. My one rub however is that we never seem to use the entire amount that we buy before going bad. I’ve had my eye on an Herb Keeper for a while now and I’ve finally decided to purchase one. They have some cool features:
- Keep herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano and dill fresh longer
- Also great for keeping vegetables like asparagus and celery fresh and crisp
- Slots in removable tray hold and hydrate herb stems while keeping leaves above the water
- Sized for storing large quantities of herbs; designed to fit in most refrigerator door shelves
- Measures 4-3/4 inches in diameter and 9-1/2 inches tall
Cuisipro Herb Keeper – around $18 on Amazon
I am so excited by this product! What an amazing way to make a healthy summer time treat for the kids. This is especially exciting because I already have a Zoku Pop Maker. My sister-in-law gave it to my wife a few years ago, and it is really cool. You can make ice pops from just about any liquid in just about 7 minutes. You can ad chunks of fruit, you can make layers, really there are so many fun ways to make ice pops with this thing. But now, with this $15 kit, you can take it to a whole new level! The kit basically gives you little cookie cutters that you can make little characters to go into the pops! Check out some of the examples below.
To buy the pop maker for $39.99 go here: Zoku Pop maker
To buy the Character Kit for $14.99 go here: Zoku Character Kit
Info on character kit:
- Create animals, faces, and fun characters of your own design using stenciled fruit slices, or follow Zoku’s designs included in the instruction booklet
- The kit includes 14 stencils, 1 faceplate, 1 stand for holding the Pop Maker steady, a pusher tool for removing fruit slices from the stencils, instructions, and sample character designs to get started
- Never before have pops been so much fun or easy to make
- Bring your Quick Pops to life with the Zoku Character Kit! Works with both the original Zoku and the Duo
- BPA and Phthalate Free
Info on Pop Maker:
- Create your own customized frozen pops, including cream-filled varieties, in as little as 7 minutes
- Makes up to nine 2 1/4″ x 3 1/2″ pops (three 2-oz. pops at a time) before refreezing is required
- Nonstick cast-aluminum molds have a proprietary solution sealed inside their bases to enable rapid, uniform freezing
- Special drip guards promote tidy eating
- Includes base, remover tool, six reusable pop sticks and six reusable drip guards
That’s right, spring is just around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about your garden. This year we finally have a space to do a bit of gardening. Living in NYC last year certainly didn’t allow for that. For me having produce that’s free of GMO’s, harsh chemicals and pesticides is even more important than ever now that we have our son. I found some seeds that I’ve bought to get our garden started this summer and wanted to share them with you!
Ferry Morse Large Organic Vegetable Garden – $16 on Amazon
Custom Collection of 12 Organic Herbs – $9.50 on Amazon
How brilliant is this kitchen tool? I love lemon juice on my summer salads, and there is nothing better to me than lemon juice on sweet ripe fruit like mangoes or watermelons. This tool should make it really easy to ad that lemon flavor without the mess. I was also thinking that this tool will make it really easy to ad lemon juice to apples, pears, and other cut up fruit that you don’t want to turn brown, like if you are packing it in a school lunch, or placing it on a cut fruit plate or something like that.
All you have to do is cut off the top of the lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit, and screw in the mister, wait a second for it to fill with juice, and start spraying! It is made from BPA free plastic, and comes apart for cleaning, and is completely dishwasher safe! Get your citrus mister here.